Keeping your feet looking good in summer can be a challenge, especially when most of us are exposing our feet to nature’s elements more during this time of the year. Here are 7 great tips for keeping your feet looking fresh.
1. APPLY SUNSCREEN REGULARLY when you’re busy putting sunscreen on your face, shoulders and legs, it’s very easy to overlook your feet. By applying sunscreen to your feet you could not only avoid a very awkward strap tan line (I currently have a Birkenstock tan line), but you are also protecting your cuticles. Your cuticles protect new nail growth as they emerge, but in the summer it is common that they dry out from wind, sun and sand. So apply the sunscreen – it will help promote healthy nail growth and an even foot coloration! Me and my family use Badger Sunscreens and love them – they are natural, organic and very effective!
2. DON’T SOAK YOUR FEET you know the dry feeling you get all over when you come out of the shower? Same thing happens when you soak your feet. Foot scrubs are a great alternative to softening your feet efficiently.
3. FILE THOSE FEET IN THE SHOWER there are several feet filers that remove dead skin from the foot. I personally have a filer from Microplane (yes, they also make graters for the kitchen – just don’t get them mixed up!). Pumice stones are also great for removing dead skin. Keep it in your shower and add it into your cleaning routine.
4. NIGHT TIME MOISTURIZING I am a big fan of night time moisturizing because I almost always where sandals and having a slippery foot in sandals is awful in so many ways. So I apply heavy moisturizer right before bed and will often throw some socks on so it doesn’t get on my sheets.
6. GIVE YOUR FEET AIR don’t lock your feet up in socks and shoes all summer. Getting your feet fresh air helps get rid of chemical residue. And give your toenails a break from the nail polish every other month for 4 or 5 days to prevent discoloration of your toenails.
7. EAT FOR YOUR FEET if you notice your feet are swelling try cutting down on your salt intake. Apparently I found out that sugar can cause puffiness too! So watch those summer sweets and try to minimize as much as possible.
Over the weekend I participated in a walk/run for the 4th of July in Mt. Shasta, CA. For a small city in Northern CA, there sure were a lot of people from all over who came out and united together as a community for this fun event. Naturally, I paid very close attention to what shoes people chose to wear to this walk/run and I was very excited to see several of the competitive runners wearing Hoka One One running shoes! It’s always fun to see shoes we sell at Footwear etc. out there, being used in the world.
Upon returning from Mt. Shasta I noticed we added 5 new Hoka One One shoes on www.footwearetc.com, including the very popular and highly rated Men’s & Women’s Clifton 3. The Clifton has been featured in several running publications and is all the rave in online forums and blogs. Want to know the reason we love Hoka? They are extremely cushioned AND extremely lightweight. They also feature a meta rocker which helps your foot strike and lift correctly.
Here are the new arrivals from Hoka One One:
More Hoka One One Features:
- Lycra ComfortFrame Upper
- TPU External Heel Counter Provides Support
- Early Stage Meta-Rocker Full EVA Midsole Provides Signature HOKA ONE ONE Cushioning
- 10 Degree Heel Bevel Provides Smooth Heel Transition
- Flat-Waisted Geometry Provides Inherent Stability
- Strategic Rubber Placement Provides Durability
Yoo-hoo! We are celebrating July 4th with our customers this year by extending an EXTRA 20% off all Clearance Sandals and all MBT shoes. This rare event can save you up to 90% off clearance sandals – the savings are incredible.
Now, if you’re thinking the selection might be stale or out-dated, think again! We have an amazing selection of this seasons sandals on clearance and they are amazing. Here are some of my favorite clearance sandals that are an extra 20% off June 30th through July 4th.
From Dansko, Birkenstock, Vionic, Naot, Skechers and beyond, this is your chance to find amazing deals on your favorite sandal brands for summer. Enjoy!
I enjoyed reading this article about how a running enthusiast turned his Samuel Hubbard walking shoes into his daily running shoes – it really shines a light on how comfortable and well-made Samuel Hubbard shoes are!
article by Samuel Hubbard Shoe Company.
To say that Burr Purnell loves to run is an understatement. Enjoying his life in Marin County, CA, Burr follows a routine that has him logging almost 50 miles per week – including a 15-mile “commute run” to work every Tuesday and Friday.
“I run from my home to the office, take a shower there, and then change into my work clothes and shoes,” says Burr.
That routine worked fine until one day when he forgot to leave a pair of work shoes in the office on a Thursday night. That meant he’d have no shoes to wear during the day after his Friday morning run to the office.
That’s when the idea struck: “I’ll just run to work in my Hubbards.”
So that’s what he did. His running buddy thought it was crazy, and the cyclist who pedaled by had a good laugh. But the shoes performed just as Burr had hoped.
The Hubbard-run took Burr across the Golden Gate Bridge to his office under the Bay Bridge – 15.6 miles in all, averaging a nine-minute mile for his Friday commute.
“I never felt uncomfortable, unsafe or un-anything,” says Burr. “My Hubbards never stretched or broke down in any way.” Yet during a run of more than two hours, he put more stress on those shoes than most shoes get in several months’ time.
What’s next in Burr’s footwear future?
“I’m looking forward to trying the Hubbard Go To Work shoes,” he says. Of course, as far as Burr is concerned, Hubbard already makes “Run To Work” shoes – even if they were never quite intended that way.
Shop Samuel Hubbard at Footwear etc. and get FREE 3 day shipping on orders over $60!